![]() |
| Suffragettes in Washington, D.C. 1917 - 1918 (source) |
Newspaper coverage was used to attack and discredit the earliest organized efforts for women's rights, from the Seneca Falls Convention of 1848 to the passing of the 19th Amendment in 1920 — seven decades.
The most contentious issue—and spearhead of the early women's rights movement—was universal suffrage, or the right of women to vote and thus participate as full citizens of the U.S.
"We are clearly of the opinion that the time has come for the organziation [sic] of a "Rights of Man Association," to withstand the greedy appropriativeness of woman-kind; and if that does not serve, we must resort to dissolution or secession." (October 18, 1851)
![]() |
| Suffragettes, 1917 - 1918 (source) |
![]() |
| Suffragettes in Washington, D.C. 1917 - 1918 (source) |
![]() |
| Political cartoon of anti-suffragists presenting petition to New York Senators Thomas Grady and John Raines; Harper's Weekly, 1907. (source) |
I think 19th century journalism played a huge role in instilling the negative attitudes that continue to dismiss concerns about women's rights as irrational and petty, and to reduce feminism to something trivial and headed by man-hating, hysterical women.
As Xtina sings in feminist anthem "Can't Hold Us Down": "So, what am I not supposed to have an opinion? / Should I keep quiet just because I'm a woman? / Call me a bitch 'cause I speak what's on my mind / Guess it's easier for you to swallow if I sat and smiled".




No comments:
Post a Comment